I am speechless by all the talented vendors I get to meet and work with and meeting Sunny from Ebb and Flow Flowers was no different. We met multiple times, through wedding shows and shoots for The Wedding Magazine, and she was always so wonderful to work with. As soon as I started seeing her at my weddings too, I just knew I had to sit down and learn more about her! What I found out is she is just as sweet and lovely as the floral masterpieces she creates!
When did you start your business?
I started dreaming up Ebb & Flow over 5 years ago while I still lived and worked in Chicago. A few years after my husband and I moved back to Green Bay I decided to go for it! Ebb & Flow Flowers was launched two years ago. We are on our third year in 2015 and each year has brought such wonderful opportunities, it just keeps getting better and better.
What interested you about your craft? Why start your own business?
I think for many artists it can take years to find what their “medium” is, so-to-speak. For me, designing flowers came naturally. It truly is the medium through which I am able to express myself. I started Ebb & Flow because, for me, the best way to enjoy creating floral designs was to see it through the entire process, from idea conception to reality.
What kind of schooling/training have you had?
For the most part I am self-taught. Although I have been working at florists on and off since I was 17 years old, I would say the biggest influence I have had in terms of honing my design skills and style was in Chicago where I worked for eight years at a high end boutique florist.
How would you describe your style?
Overall my style is rooted in a classic, timeless look. Beyond that a lot of my designs are driven by my clients vision or needs. Sometimes that means using an organic, naturally textured and flowy assortment of blooms and sometimes it means a more controlled collection of flowers designed with a simple elegance in mind.
What are some of your unique offerings?
– “Floral bracelets” are the new corsages at Ebb & Flow, imagine a flower crown for your wrist! People really seem to love them and they are way prettier than a traditional corsage.
– Another design we specialize in is what I refer to as the “pinterest bouquet”. It’s that slightly wild, organic and textured but very soft and garden inspired look that is so popular right now. It’s so fun to design and I love the textured, movement that these bouquets give.
– We also offer a wide array of rental items for ceremony décor and centerpieces. From lanterns, garden cloches, fabric backdrops, real Manzanita trees and a plethora of glassware we have everything you need to make a statement on your big day.
– One of my favorite rental items right now are square chrome stands that have open sides. People love them for when you want a tall centerpiece but don’t want to obstruct the view because you really truly can see through them. They are available in silver or gold so can fit into any décor.
– Ebb & Flow can also help style your entire event. Aside from the lovely floral designs and rental items we carry in house we can also help with linens, chairs and tableware. We love to help coordinate the entire look of your wedding down to the last detail.
– When you book with Ebb & Flow you can rest assured you will be our sole focus on your wedding day. Because we only take up to two weddings a weekend (sometimes just the one), this means we give all our clients truly personalized and attentive service from initial consultation through day of delivery and set up.
Favorite business experience?
Hands down, working for Harpo studios and Oprah Winfrey for six years was an amazing, often times surreal, and truly artistically rewarding time of my life. All the while it was happening I knew it would be something that I would someday look back on fondly. Artistically, I will draw from those experiences infinitely.
Favorite part of weddings (or the wedding planning process?)
Seeing the happiness and excitement in the bride on her wedding day as she sees her unique vision come to life is the best part of my job. Flowers are an integral part of that and it is so rewarding to be a part of seeing a couples big day all come together as they had envisioned.
Any Helpful Tips for Brides searching for their florist?
– Find a florist who you connect with
– Communicate your style clearly to them and be sure they listen to your input
– Once you find someone you trust to fulfill your vision, try to be flexible, often times your vendors can be much more creative when given a bit of freedom
– Most importantly, you should always feel that you are enjoying the process and are having fun with your planning
What is in store for Ebb and Flow’s future?
As Ebb & Flow enters its third year in business I think there will be some fun changes in store, including a new studio space possibly! Still on the hunt for the perfect space but overall I am very excited to see how the year goes and what beautiful weddings it will bring.
We are also excited to have formed a partnership with a few rental companies in the area so we are now able to offer event styling services. If you are not working with a wedding planner but still want help with linens, chairs and other rental décor we now offer those services in addition to our floral designs.
Tell us more about Sunny!
– I am married to a very fun guy, Mitchell, and we have a sweet baby girl, Leyla, who is eight months old.
– We are expecting another baby in August and are very excited about that as well.
– Some people may think I’m crazy (and some days so do I) for starting a family and a business at the same time but the truth is, I couldn’t be happier (or busier).
– In my “spare” time I love to cook, read books and window shop online.
Sunny and I recently worked on a wedding together this past November and I absolutely loved the bouquets she created!!