I have always loved visiting the Green Bay Botanical Garden but it wasn’t until I started photographing weddings that I realized what a beautiful venue it is! With five different ceremony sites and a variety of areas for photos, it’s the most interesting and pretty place to get married in Green Bay. I met with Amber Crisp, the Sales and Rental Coordinator, to learn more about the beauty behind the Botanical Garden.
When did the Garden open? How long have you been with them?
The Green Bay Botanical Garden opened to the public in 1996. We are a non-porfit organization with no state or federal funding. The support of our community, members, wedding and rental clients, and all garden guests helps keep the Garden flourishing. I started my journey with the Garden as the Sales and Rental Coordinator in June 2011. I currently oversee all aspects of facility rentals and guest experiences from weddings to private and corporate events, photography and large group tours.
What interested you about your craft? Why work at the Garden?
I have always loved weddings. Especially, all the details and hard work that goes into making this day as perfect as possible. So, why not do what you love everyday? I get a great sense of joy in meeting new people, hearing their wedding dreams, and seeing what I can do in helping make those dreams a reality.
What kind of schooling/training have you had?
I moved to the area to attend college at UW-Oshkosh to be a teacher. However, something was missing for me. A new program began at Fox Valley Technical College in Appleton for event managing at just the right time and I jumped at the opportunity. I now have an Associate Degree in Meeting & Event Management. The degree, along with years of hands-on experience from past internships and customer service jobs, made the the job at the Garden a perfect fit for both of us!
How would you describe your style?
Fun. I do my best to take the stress out of planning a wedding and make this process an enjoyable experience for all involved. You need to be able to laugh at the little things and hold the big things close to your heart.
What are some of the unique offerings the Garden has?
– Five different ceremony sites to accommodate from 10 to over 230 guests.
– Beautiful structures that you you won’t find anywhere else. Our structures not only provide amazing backdrops for photos but also bring amazing stories and history to the Garden.
– 47 acres of display gardens and natural areas, showcasing the beauty of the garden.
– We serve people of all ages by providing year-round educational and recreational experiences.
– Thousands of native plants, trees, and blooming buds. There is always something unexpected around every corner.
– The Garden is ever-changing. Every year we are adding on more and switching out different plants. It’s never the same Garden each year.
Favorite part of weddings or the wedding planning process?
I love meeting with couples and sharing in their wedding excitement. Knowing that I made a difference in making their wedding day as special as possible is truly rewarding. Also, the details! Whether big or small, details are so very important. They help tell your love story, express your personalities, and help carry your wedding theme from start to finish. I just can’t get enough details!
Favorite business experience?
Every wedding I work with becomes a favorite of mine. I love that they are all unique in their own way. It is far too hard to choose just one. However, at the end of the day when a father, mother, aunt or uncle, Bride or Groom looks me in the eyes and says “thank you,” my heart just melts. Nothing else needs to be said; those are two of the strongest words I know.
Any Helpful Tips for Brides searching for their venue?
– Follow your heart…It will always lead you in the right direction and help make the hardest decisions as easy as possible.
– Choose a vendor that you like and are comfortable with! Someone that “gets” you and your vision. Not only are you choosing the venue but you are choosing the staff to help plan your very special day!
– Give your guests a little sneak peek into your wedding plans. Communication is key, so your guests know what to expect. For example: Guests should dress appropriately for a garden wedding, arrive early in case there is a distance to walk to the ceremony site and be prepared for rain (always good to carry an umbrella,) just in case.
– Be open-minded and relaxed. No matter the venue, the dress, the cake, how the day goes, etc. at the end of it all the most important thing is the person standing beside you, sharing in the most precious gift of all: love.
What is in store for the future of the Garden?
– Continuing growth of the Garden and community support.
– Possible new ceremony sites, allowing us to continue serving our clients and helping them make memorable experiences.
– More photo opportunities – as the Garden grows, so do the opportunities for unique and beautiful photos.
– Continuing to provide the community with wonderful educational experiences.
Tell us more about Amber!
– I’ve been married for three years to my wonderful husband!
– I am a mom to the most amazing little boy, Owen. We just celebrated his first birthday.
– I work at a beautiful garden but sadly do not have a “green-thumb.”
– I love spending time with friends and family who live near and far.
– I love food! If I wasn’t a coordinator, I think being a food critic/blogger would be right up my alley (:
– In my free time, I enjoy the simple pleasures of life – playing with my son and having good conversations with my hubby over a great cup of coffee. It’s pure bliss.
January 1 – CLOSED
January 2 – March 31 – Monday – Saturday from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
April 1 – May 2 – Daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
May 29 – CLOSED for Garden Fair set up
May 30 – June 1 – Garden Fair
June 2 – August 31 – Daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.
July 4 – 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
September 1 – October 31 Daily from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
November 1 – December 23 Weekdays from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
December 24 & 25 – CLOSED
December 26 – December 31 – Weekdays from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Check website for Garden of Lights Hours for November/December
Interested in having your wedding here? Email Amber at firstname.lastname@example.org.