November 29, 2018
Today is my 28th birthday! I LOVE celebrating birthdays, it’s a beautiful way to give thanks for being on this Earth another year. It’s a gift that not everyone gets to experience so I don’t take it for granted. I love growing older! It’s a privilege! This past year has been so special. 27 was great and I cannot wait to see what 28 will bring.
In my birthday post last year, I wrote that I had a feeling that 27 was going to be an amazing year. I could not have expected or anticipated just how amazing it actually was!
Over my last 365 days as a 27 year old:
• I brainstormed and planned new ideas for the next steps in my business that I can’t wait to share soon!
• I truly surrendered my year to God. I put it in His hands and have been beautifully guided all year long.
• I said good-bye to leading GB’s RTS chapter and I’m so honored to pass on leadership to two of my dearest friends.
• I started a podcast! I cohost The Creative Legacy Podcast with my friend, Sarah! We are almost to episode 30!
• I photographed 23 weddings for 23 wonderful couples!
• I also photographed dozens of family sessions and engagement sessions!
• I lost my grandmother this year and I miss her dearly. She was such a strong, tough woman.
• But my other grandma beat cancer this year and I’m so thrilled she’s still here.
• I made self-care a priority and worked on avoiding burnout this wedding season.
• I continued traveling – this year to California, Nashville, New Orleans, Iowa, Chicago, and so many fun places.
• I made The Knot’s Best of Weddings for the FIFTH year in a row.
• I donated my talents and my time at local organizations including The Boys and Girls Club and House of Hope.
• I celebrated new friendships, new relationships, and grew closer to current friends.
• We threw a ton of awesome parties including a summer cookout, a murder mystery, and a Tom Hanks-giving!
• I’ve continued my journey with Pure Barre and am super close to completing 500 classes!
• We welcomed a new cat into our family, Johanna! She’s amazing.
• My best friend moved in with me. I’m so happy to finally share this house with him.
• The best part of 27: I got ENGAGED! I get to marry the love of my life!
Birthdays are such blessings. I will never fear nor worry about growing older because it’s a gift that many do not get to receive. Every new year is an opportunity to do more, explore, give back, and make a difference with our lives. Yes, when I turn 40, 50, 60, 70, even 80, I will celebrate and welcome each year with open arms!
So I hope the next time you are about to roll your eyes or sigh about getting older, you stop and remember this. Your life is a GIFT! Your time on this Earth is precious and we never know when it will be our time to go. Stop complaining and start celebrating! Let’s leave a legacy and you can’t do that by complaining the entire time. Each new wrinkle, gray hair, back ache, hip problem is a reminder that we’ve LIVED! I hope to have the wrinkliest face ever from laughing so hard! I hope my body aches from backpacking across countries, carrying my children, and experiencing all life has to offer. I hope every single issue or “flaw” on my body reminds me that I have ENJOYED life and gave it everything I have. I hope you do too.
Cheers to being 28! Let’s do this!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.